WEST SAYVILLE BOAT BASIN
132 CLYDE STREET WEST SAYVILLE, NY 11796 (631) 589-4141
                                                        
 
 
BOAT YARD HISTORY
 
 

The two basins which comprise the boatyard are known as Greene Harbor in the West and Ockers Basin in the East.

In the late 1800's the West Basin, Greene Harbor, was no more than a large pier at the end of West Avenue which offered limited protection from the prevailing South-West wind.  At that time several oystermen were operating their businesses in Oakdale on land leased from the owner, Colonel William Ludlow, whose wife was a heir to the Nicholl Estate.  She was a direct descendent of William Nicholl, one of the original patent holders on what would become the Town of Islip. The oystermen's buildings were located just West of "Dutchman's Gap", the mouth of Indian Creek, which used to enter the bay East of Greene's Point.  

The oystermen lost their leases when Fredrick Bourne began to purchase the land from Ludlow to build his Indian Neck Estate.  Although the sale of the last piece of property occured in 1897, some of the oystermen retained the use of the property for a further ten years as stipulated in the sale.

Realizing their long tenure in Oakdale was drawing to a close, these relocated oystermen had the foresight to see that West Sayville's prime bay front location was perfect for sloops to access the rich oyster beds of the bay.  They purchased land in the harbor area from Samuel Greene and began to plan to enclose the harbor area with a basin. The South and East walls of the inner basin dock were built in the Summer of 1902 by a partnership consisting of the Westerbeke Brothers, Jacob and Fredrick Ockers, John VanWyne, and William Rudolph.  The entrance to the bay was at the Tiki hut area. Their oyster houses are the buildings fronting the North side of the inner harbor.  The original building on the South Yard property housed a pound-net fishery run by the Schaper family.  The building was later removed and floated down Greene's Creek where it is now a law office on Montauk Highway.  Later the South yard beach, located at the West basin, had a pavilion that was built by the Methodist Church around 1920.  For many years after it was known as the "West Sayville Beach" 

The West basin was converted to a Navy base during World War I, from 1917 to 1919. The Station was designated Section Base #5, and nicknamed the "Splinter Fleet".  Consisting of wooden vessels donated by local wealthy family's, it's purpose was to prevent the running of supplies to enemy submarines, plus general observation and police duty.  The mines were a real threat, as seen when the men of the base were called to assist in the rescue of the crew of the U.S.S. San Diego when it struck a mine and sank off Point O' Woods in 1918. 

After WWI the West basin was converted back to commercial use and remained home to oyster, and later clam dredges for 6 decades.  The outer basin pier surrounding the floating dock area was built in 1937 by the Town of Islip for private commercial boats.  In the late 70's Harry Schnepf purchased the property from George VanDerBorgh and converted it into a recreational marina called Dutchman's Cove. It was purchased by the DeAngelis family in 1995, renamed, and upgraded into the modern facility seen today.

 

The Eastern basin was built by Jacob Ockers when he moved his oyster business, and its buildings, here from his Oakdale location. There are records of the buildings on the Ludlow property at Greene's Point as far back as 1868, although the original construction date remains unknown. 

Ockers purchased the East Basin property from Samuel Greene in 1907 and built the East Basin bulkheads that year.  His main oyster house was floated here on barges in one piece in 1908, and the original building still remains intact and complete today. Ockers merged his business with the Sealshipt Oyster Company in 1912 to form the Bluepoints Clam & Oyster Company.  With the company under his management until his death in 1918, Ockers became the nation's largest and wealthiest shipper of oysters.  The company remained semi-independent under the management of Adolf Johnson until 1922 when the company name changed to The Bluepoints Company Inc., and Paul Mercer was appointed manager.  Mercer managed the company until 1929 when General Foods Corporation purchased it as a subdivision.  General Foods retained the company for 37 years under the management of the Mercer Family (Mercer eventually became President of General Foods) until selling it in 1969 to The American Can Company, later to become The First Republic Corporation.

The company survived as a sub-division of The First Republic Corp.until 2002 when a decline in the clam and oyster production forced the company to shut down the Bluepoints Division. Acquired in 2004 by the DeAngelis family, it was converted to a recreational Marina and joined with the existing slips to the West. The buildings were preserved and restored, and the result is the Marina you are seeing today.

Consisting now of 9 acres of bay front with direct access to county parks on both sides, the facility has become one of the premier neighborhood marinas on Long Island's south shore. 

 

 
     
 

 

 

 

Historic Photo Collection

 

Historic Newspaper Collection